As an employee of DMM, I am committed to contributing to a safe space for learning about larger current social, political and cultural issues. By fostering a positive environment to learn, completing the training provided by DMM, and educating myself on these issues, I will be more conscious of how representation, diversity, and inclusivity will be addressed in every social media campaign that I manage.
In order to abide by the Social Code of Conduct to the best of my ability, I recognize and commit to the following:
- As someone who creates content that reaches large numbers of people, I understand the power in my role.
- I commit to leveraging my influence in the social space to further the movement towards a more just and equitable culture.
- I pledge to learning about cultures and perspectives outside my own, both at DMM and in my personal life. This educational journey will help inform my approach to content creation and community management.
- I acknowledge that I may not always know the right answers, and I will remain open and teachable as I continue on my learning journey. I will seek the support of my supervisor and leadership team for guidance if I struggle to understand the evolving nuances of the communities I am speaking to.
Once DMM and partners align on messaging, strategy, and communication, I will hold myself accountable to the following standards when executing any campaign:
- I will ensure that all written and visual content accurately reflects the project’s tone while avoiding the perpetuation of oppressive ideologies such as racism, sexism, classism, homophobia, transphobia, colorism, and ableism.
- I will consider my implicit biases when writing copy and avoid harmful language choices, including stereotypes, microaggressions, and misuses of culturally-specific language.
- I will make recommendations and decisions that help increase the visibility and representation of underrepresented populations, taking care to include and highlight talent in those categories in written and visual content as much as possible.
In day to day account management, I will hold myself accountable to the following:
- I will ensure all community management responses are not harmful to oppressed populations. I will avoid harmful language choices, including stereotypes, microaggressions, and misuses of cultural slang.
- When I am sharing or retweeting content from other social accounts, I will be mindful of whose voices I am amplifying to ensure that I don’t promote accounts that are inflammatory, insensitive, or harmful to oppressed groups.
- I will be mindful of the impact of ignoring and silencing marginalized groups when they are expressing critical opinions, and where possible, make recommendations that do not remove their voices from the conversation.
- I will flag, report, or escalate for internal review any user-generated comments or content that may be considered harmful or oppressive.